I think the previous owner was trying to warn me about the cabinets!
Seriously there were lots of weapons drawn inside our drawers. I hope the dog wasn't telling the kids to do it and thank goodness the family moved to Miami and not around the corner. And what is with that "jelly" thing in the corner? I guess I can't complain that client cabinets are gross.
The day before Thanksgiving everything was going well with my project. All pieces had a nice even base stain.
Mistake One: I thought I would apply a coat of Aquaguard Gloss to enhance the base layer and provide an isolation coat for my next stain. There was a measuring cup of water by the spray booth. It looked "cloudy" but I was too
Mistake Two: I didn't really examine the cabinet frames well before selecting my finishes. If I had, I would have noticed how uneven the original stain had worn and that my wood was bowed and cracked in places. Also, even with cleaning, a waxy residue was present in spots (our floor had the same thing). Maybe this is why her kids were so angry:
It's a hard knock life kiddies!
I decided to alter the finishes and do two separate but complimentary looks. By putting a tinted Pullstone around the one cabinet set I could cover the crazing but still leave the stained look I liked. The cabinets with the warping got a light texture and paint/glaze finish.
Finish One: The Kona Coffee ReStain with the Villa Hays on the rails & stiles.
I did a light sand and applied a warm silver/grey Fauxstone Pulloff to the original Kona stained door. Areas of the Fauxstone are removed with a paper towel to reveal some wood stain underneath. The same treatment was used on the drawer fronts.
Since the adjoining frames were getting a painted finish, the frames for these pieces needed to stay stained and not textured with the Fauxstone Pulloff. But the stain on the desk area was particularly uneven. We have a great sanding sealer that I tinted to my base stain and applied over the surface 100%.
The upper desk frames and lower cabinet frames are also finished in a similar fashion.
I painted the texture with a custom metallic silver Setcoat made from left over Designer Metallic, Royal Taupe Setcoat, Neutral White Setcoat, and Metal Glow.
No recipe and it didn't blow up. I did make enough to get the other half of the kitchen done.