It's Easy Being Green
A good makeover gets you to stop and look at it. A great makeover motivates you to create a sample because you feel inspired. That was the case with this bathroom project from Hattisburg, Mississippi Decorative Artist Michelle Lopez. Michelle is the owner of Sparkle Faux Designs.
The bathroom had a floral paper with jade tile. Looks like this is in the middle of the fun process of stripping wallpaper.
Using the tile as a starting point, Michelle applied Jade Plaster from Faux Effects. She created movement and depth with Pearl Palette Deco. Over the dried plaster, she applied Wundasize and then randomly popped in silver hologram foil.
The wonderful stencil called Lisbora Tile is a new design from Melanie Royals of Royal Design Studio. Michelle pounced in more jade plaster over the design to create a slightly raised pattern. Pearl Palette Deco was gently striaed over the design.
As Michelle said, "It was a lot of work but worth it."
Michelle is a Facebook friend. When I saw the bath, I thought of two different cabinet finishes that, if combined, would be a nice compliment to this bathroom makeover. She agreed to send me these pictures so I could create a sample and recipe to share with other on-line friends.
The walls are amazing and should remain the focus of the room. Right now the white vanity is crisp and clean in the room but pulls some of the attention from the walls. Since the vanity top and toilet are white, I didn't want a huge contrast-rather something in a similar green family that gently blends in. I also wanted to incorporate some of the product that Michelle may have left over from the project.
I started with an oak door.
I cleaned the door with Paso and did a light sand. Then I painted the oak with primer. Michelle's Vanity is either Thermafoil or a White enamel and should be primed to make it compatible with a water-based system.
I use this technique a lot. It dries hard, is easy to sand, may be tinted with anything, and adds a nice low texture. For a stronger texture, Master Finishing Medium may be used-it is just messier to sand. I hate to sand, so I just popped the Duraseal low to save me that step. This cabinet finish is also pretty without the texture. When the Duraseal dried, within 30 minutes, I could apply my basecoat.
Based on the tile color and the Jade Plaster, I used my Urban Fern Setcoat mix for the base. This is 3 parts Sea Spray Metal glow mixed with 1 part Sage Setcoat.
I brushed it on the surface and stippled it with a Neon Leon brush-this is the easiest way to apply a metallic basecoat if you don't spray it. One coat coverage is fine because I wanted the color light. If the door or surface is larger, use a small fluffy white or pink roller head to apply the metallic color and stipple out as you work across the surface.
To add a little bling and since she has the product, I used a sea sponge to spot in Wundasize to the center panel and recessed molding.
I like to use Palette Deco on my cabinetry-the Urban Red Door is a good example. Michelle used Palette Deco Pearl so I did as well. I brushed in the center of the panel and used the Neon Leon again to pounce it down.
You should see the hologram foil underneath the Palette Deco Pearl. I brushed the Palette Deco Pearl over the outer molding and wiped it down with cheesecloth. For better flow, thin the Pearl with a glaze medium or an extender. The Pearl will dry down stronger then it first appears so apply it lightly-you want to see the green underneath.
I troweled with a Japan Blade a little more Palette Deco Pearl because I wanted a little more contrast between the center panel and the surround. If you do this step don't bury out the layers underneath.
The plaster layer dries fast. I was ready to glaze with Stain & Seal within 40 minutes.
I brushed a mix of 2parts FX Thinner + 1 part American Walnut Stain + 1 part Rich Brown Stain. Gently soften the brush lines with cheesecloth. While the brown is wet I brushed in 2parts FX Thinner mixed with 2 parts Sea Spray Metal Glow (this was part of the base mix).
I used my cheesecloth to blend the colors. The trick is to keep the colors soft and not end up with monkey brown. Start in the center and work out to the edges. Again, don't loose the underneath colors as you work.
I used the stain mix for fly flicks and lightly thinned American Walnut to highlight the architecture. When the detail work dried I sealed the door with Varnish Plus Satin. I like my finish layer to dry over night before topcoating. Varnish Plus Satin may be too shiny for some so 2 coats of Aquaguard Satin is a great alternative and few people have application issues with it.
And here is the finished door. It was super easy and should hold up well to water and humidity-she does live in Mississippi after all.
Thanks Michelle for sharing your makeover. You can visit Michelle at www.sparklefauxdesigns.com to see more of her work.