But how did I get there? When you are preparing something for a magazine, you have to set some parameters before you start. In this case I had the following:
- The audience for Studios Magazine is creative people interested in how other artists live and work.
- My job is to show a finish that an artist might be inspired to use in their space with steps they could easily follow.
- It has to be visually interesting with details that photograph well.
- The number of products and steps must be limited, price conscience but also creative.
- It had to be finished in 5 days.
My "wall" is Gator Board because I wanted a larger scale sample that looked as much like a real project as possible. Don't you wish you could always just pick up your wall? The only thing better? Having wings!
I buttered my blade with Faux Effects Venetian Gem in Tiger's Eye and troweled on a high/low medium coat about the thickness of cake frosting. My mother tells me, "The only part of you they see in the magazine is your hands and they are stained! Couldn't you get your hands at least clean?" This is the faux finishing version of "wear clean underwear in case you are in an accident!"
Hold the trowel loose and at a 45% angle to spread the plaster. Use the Japan Blade to keep your trowel clean. Less then 10% of the base is showing.
Next, I wanted to add things to give me the collage feeling. But it had to be big enough to see in a picture and easily accessible. I used some big letter stencils from Michael's and troweled over them with the Venetian Plaster. Then it is time to blow dry the wall....
and post a collage to Instagram!
I found these great rubber lace placemats shopping with my sister who gave me a weird look when I only bought two. "I'm not going to eat on them silly," I tell her. "I'm going to pull plaster over them of course!" Why would I put a plate over a perfectly good pattern source?
Here is my wall drying. Using one color is a good way to hide when your plaster bleeds under the pattern.
And this is how I stand while I do it!
And post! Do you guys remember when you worked without a cell phone camera? Me neither.
And then I sanded...
And I glazed with 2 colors...
And I top coated....
And photographed it!
Then I realized it. While it was very pretty in person, I had lost the pattern. It was too busy to photograph well! And I had added extra steps! And more product! And burned 2 days! This was a "make it work moment."
I rolled my Venetian Gem Plaster finely over the finish to get it back to the right base and color. When it was dry, I rolled Setcoat Metallic Gun Metal over the whole thing. This is how you demo the roll and soften chatter moves.
When the Gun Metal was dry, I used a power sander to reveal the brown tips of the pattern. Venetian Gem sticks really well! Then I glazed with Aquacreme and Dark Brown Faux Crème Color. Remember I also have to use Silver Label products so people can buy the stuff if they want to do this project.
Yes, those are still my Spider Monkey hands.
I rolled a coat of C500 Gloss and took a picture. Thank goodness! It photographed much better and had less steps. Whew! Then I formatted the pictures (too small the first time) and wrote the Step by Step. After everything went to the editor, I had a nice chat with the writer who does the introduction.
And now I may shame my whole family with my dirty hands on national news stands!
Studios Magazine Fall 2014 issue is available at Arts and Crafts Stores, Barnes & Nobel, and by ordering on-line.